Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day Two – The Ticket Debacle, Main Street and L.A. Stories

After a relaxing morning at home (our first movie wasn’t until 12:15 PM) the four of us loaded into the rental car and headed to the town at a leisurely pace. Once we were in line to go in, I pulled out our tickets, only to discover that I had brought Sunday’s tickets not Saturday's. I immediately hopped back in the car, sped back out of town (Jenn lives about 15 minutes outside the city) and, driving 90 MPH at times, was able to get the tickets and get back in time for the movie. I keep saying I don’t want to be in charge of the tickets, but they won’t fire me.

It all had a happy ending and we got good seats for what I think was the best movie we have seen so far.

Amreeka
This debut feature tells the story of a Palestinian family’s immigration to Illinois. It was written and directed by Cherien Dabis (pictured here with some of the cast) and largely autobiographical. What I loved about the movie was it was so intensely personal. It was also very true to both the Middle Eastern culture (luckily we have Jois, who is married to an Israeli, along to confirm that) and the Arab immigrant experience post 911. I don’t think you could watch this movie without caring deeply about the characters and rooting for their success. Told with heart, humor and honesty I consider this film a treasure to be discovered.

With a three hour break after Amreeka, we had lunch at Shawn Levy’s favorite burrito place. (We thought of you Shawn, sorry you couldn’t join us.) We then headed to historic Main Street to experience the “scene” that is so often associated with Sundance. We just missed seeing 50-Cent, but did bump into the Nesquick Bunny. (OK, so it’s not quite the same.) We also got to participate in a group Macarena that streamed live on some web site and then scored some free water bottles at the Brita tent. It really doesn’t take much to make us happy.

Then it was back to Eccles for our final two movies. These two movies were both Premieres, both set in L.A., both had popular stars in them and are both only playing twice in Park City. Therefore, the theatre was packed. We had to sit in the balcony for the first, which was fine for the movie, but a bummer for the Q & A. I’m sure you will see the first movie, 500 Days of Summer, in a theatre near you sometime in 2009 as it is a Fox Searchlight Pictures release. Spread, the second movie, will probably also be distributed, although I’m not sure what rating it would have – lots of nudity and sex. Here are my two (not 50) cents.

5oo Days of Summer
This was an absolutely charming tale of boy meets girl, boy falls in love, girl doesn’t. Told from the male perspective, it’s a little harsh toward women, but so true and funny that it doesn’t matter. Joseph-Gordon Levitt plays lovesick Tom and was absolutely adorable and Zooey Deschanel plays, Summer, the object of his love. I guess you would classify this as a romantic comedy, but it rises above that format by unfolding in a non-linear fashion and including several delightful dream/fantasy sequences. In my favorite, the euphoria Tom feels after first sleeping with Summer is expressed in a big song and dance number that spontaneously erupts as Tom is walking to work. Set in some of the more picturesque areas of Los Angeles and underscored with an amazing soundtrack this film had all the right elements to tell a not-so-graceful story, gracefully.

Spread
Produced by and starring Ashton Kutcher (pictured right -- what’s up with that hat?), this is the story of a male Gigolo in Los Angeles and features lots of beautiful people naked. If Ashton Kutcher gets you hot and bothered, this movie is worth the price of admission. If you have an aversion to explicit sex scenes, you should probably skip it. I would have really struggled with this movie, had the script not taken the main character away from his sexual exploits about midway and finally started given him some likeable human qualities. If you want a glimpse into the lives and style of the beautiful people of L.A., this film will have you on sensory overload. If you are looking for deep commentary on the same, you might leave disappointed. Amusing and sad at the same time, I can’t say I’m a huge fan of this film, but it was lovely to look at and fairly entertaining.

We have two more movies today, so I’ll post my thoughts on those tonight.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hey Dana-
I am enjoying reading your blog. I wish I knew where to find Shawn Levy's column. Ideas for me? I suppose I could ask Mr. Reames.

Dana said...

Thanks Kate. I think you can find Shawn Levy's blog at www.blog.oregonlive.com\madaboutmovies. If that doesn't work, search mad about movies.