Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Sundance Blog: Who, What and Why

It's a little over a week until I leave for the 2008 Sundance Film Festival and things are already buzzing. My friend Jois, a fanatical film lover, my sister Jenn and I have gone to the festival for the past four years and as we prepare for our fifth, the e-mails are flying!

Over the years we have learned a great deal about ticket buying (ask everyone you know to enter the lottery for on-line ticket-buying time slots), interpreting the film guide's movie descriptions (if there's no cast listed, there are no people in the movie), which theatres are the best and in walking distance of each other (Ogden theatres are, in fact, in Ogden which is a long way from Park City) and which film categories to avoid ("Park City at Midnight" movies are not shown during daylight hours for a reason.)

We don't go to the parties. We don't go to see celebrities. We go because we love independent film and because it is the best damn Mom's week away you will ever have. Never once do I think "I wish the kids were here" and we barely have time to eat, let alone miss our families.

So, as we embark on yet another Sundance journey, I decided to share some of our insight (notice I didn't say wisdom); experiences; film reviews; celebrity sightings (not that we care); Ug Boot, fur coat and other winter fashion atrocities along the way. I will also include the funny things we see and hear in wait list lines, on the streets and in jam-packed shuttle buses.

I hope you find the experience as exciting, thought-provoking and, at times, ridiculous as we do.

No comments: